If you are working on an assembly craft project that involves nailing moldings and trim boards with precision, then a finish nailer is going to be essential to your work. Finding the right tool for the job will save you a considerable amount of time and effort, and will also deliver the cleanest results time after time. Seeing out the best finish nailer on the market is therefore something you should do before any such job, from fitting chair rails, through assembling cabinets, to something as intricate as affixing a window trim.
For anyone looking for the best finish nailer, there will be a range of priorities that you have to consider. Given that you’ll usually be using one hand to hold parts of your assembly in place, it should be possible to operate a finish nailer with one hand, so it is important that the piece be lightweight. It is also beneficial for such a tool to be operable in a tight space, which means that a correctly angled model will go a long way to serving your needs. Some models run on battery power, while others may need to be plugged in to a power source – each of these options has its advantages and disadvantages, but the best models will be easy to work with whatever the power source.
In addition, the importance of convenience means the best finish nailer will also be low on mess and require less intervention from the user; for the latter reason, one with a magazine that holds a lot of nails will be ideal for the job. If you can find a nail gun that offers this ease of use, convenience and versatility, then you’ll have gone a long way towards finding the best finish nailer out there. Let’s look at some of the best models on the market, and see which ones might suit you.
Covered by a 5-year warranty, the Paslode 902400 is ideal for a range of carpentry jobs, from installing wood flooring to more intricate work like fitting a bead board ceiling. The dimensions of the gun are 17 x 17 x 5.5 inches, making it a breeze to use in tight spaces, and a definite contender for the title of best finish nailer on the market. Spares and add-ons are also easy to come by, and the gun itself comes with a pack of 100 compatible nails as well as a battery and charger.
A no-mar tip means that you can reliably use this model without worrying about dings and scratches, while its angled magazine makes it the perfect nailer for use in confined spaces.
- Precise Nail Placement - Angled magazine reaches tight spots and allows precise nail placement, crown molding or baseboard in the corners
- No Downtime - 7V Li-ion battery and up to 12,000 nails per charge lessens downtime and provides fuel that will last a full day
- Lightweight - Only 4.5 lbs. for added comfort and control.
- Convenient Maneuvering - Cordless design and no hoses make work easier
- No-Mar Tip - Preserves smooth surface and prevents scratching and markings on work surfaces
At just under $300, the DCN660B is cheaper than a lot of models on the market, but you would be hard-pushed to find any loss of quality for the price. Indeed, if you’re already a fan of Dewalt products, you’ll be delighted to learn that you can use the batteries from other models in this machine and vice versa. Such is the versatility of this nailer that you will find it can be used on both hard and soft joints without compromising the finish of the job. The rear-loading magazine can take 120 nails at a time and will work equally well with Dewalt and Paslode nails.
This model also allows adjustment of the depth of nails, so you can ensure the best possible finish for a range of jobs, whether that be assembling a cabinet or fitting crown molding. In short, this power nailer offers everything you would expect from a brand as recognizable as Dewalt, and a little bit more.
- This cordless finish nailer that is 100% battery powered eliminates need for a compressor, hose or costly gas cartridges
- Brushless motor of the 16 gauge finish nailer maximizes runtime and durability
- Tool-free selectable trigger for sequential or contact actuation modes
- Tool-free depth adjustment for precise countersinking of nails
- Tool-free jam release to quickly and easily clear nail jams
Backed by a lengthy five-year warranty, the NT65MA4 is a paragon of reliability, so lightweight and easy to handle that you won’t regret that it’s not a cordless device. Yes, it comes with a plug, so you will need to be near an outlet to use it, but as long as you have a power source close to hand you’ll find it exceptionally easy to use – the absence of a battery makes the device considerably lighter, and users have consistently voted it one of the best finish nailers out there.
An integrated air duster also ensures that you can easily blow away inconvenient debris to ensure a clean finish to whatever jobs you may be carrying out, and there is a 360-degree adjustable air exhaust attached to the model, which means that you can direct air streams away from both yourself and the nailer. These little touches ensure a greater comfort of use for a finish nailer that stands up to long-term use.
- AWARD: Rated the Pro Preferred Nailer for 7 years running (2014 - 2020) by Builder and Developer Magazine
- FASTENERS: 15-gauge nails from 1-1/4-in Up to 2-1/2-in In length
- APPLICATIONS: Ideal for installing crown and base moldings, window and door casings, chair rails, cabinets, exterior trim and staircases
- TRIGGER: Easily switch from either sequential or contact nailing with a simple flip of the switch
- DEPTH ADJUSTMENT: Tool-less depth of drive dial adjusts for flush fastening into varying materials for improved control and a professional finish
The N62FNK-2 may be the best finish nailer available thanks to features such as the oil-free compressor, an inclusion that makes the device much less messy than some of its competitors on the market, while an integrated air-blower allows you to effortlessly clear dust and debris away from work areas without needing to stop mid-job. You can also remove the magazine easily, meaning that on the rare occasions when you may experience a jam, it’s all the easier to clear it and get back to work.
Perhaps best of all is the fact that the N62FNK-2 weighs just 3.8 lbs, making it simple to maneuver and light enough to use for long periods without getting tired. Add this to the seven-year warranty – an exceptional period of coverage that compares favorably with even the top names in the market – and you have a finish nailer that you’ll be proud to own.
- This pneumatic nailer is the world's first 15GA tool with ultra-quiet rear exhaust to direct air away from the user
- Integrated air blower of 15 gauge finish nailer allows user to clear away debris from work surface (patent-pending)
- LED work-light for working in closets and dark spaces
- Adjustable trigger with safety lock-out allows the user to choose between single or multiple fastener drive mode
- 16-inch on-center gauge fl ips out for quick and easy installation of baseboard (patent-pending)
5. Makita AF601
The Makita AF601 works with an air compressor – and again, the nailer is highly versatile in terms of which compressor will work with it. One important consideration when it comes to finish nailers is whether they suit varying levels of experience, and the positive reviews that this model has received from both beginners and experts indicate that this is a very intuitive piece no matter what your level of experience. As long as you follow the instructions, and use the supplied no-mar tips, this is a finish nailer that will work with a minimum of fuss and mess.
- Efficient motor design offers leading power performance
- Nail lock-out mechanism protects tool and work surface from dry-fires
- "Tool-less" depth adjustment for more precise flush and Countersink nailing
- Built-in air duster provides convenient air flow to clear work surface
- 2-mode selector switch for control over nailing operation
What To Look For In A Finish Nailer
This video gives great advice for buying a finish nailer: